[RC] re:saddle -to Kristen - Teresa Van Hove

Kristen,

It would help to have more information. Is your horse high/wide withered - which will make many saddles 'too short' by tending to put the weight of the saddle (and rider) onto the back of the saddle. Is the too long saddle clearly bridging (not contacting horses back in the middle of the saddle.) Or are the corners of the panels digging into your horses loins in the back (this is gullet and tree width as well as length)

You can check for brigding and where the weight is by setting the saddle on the horse w/o a pad and running your hand under the panels. It gives a surprisinly accurate picture of where your saddle is concentrating weight, any bridging and so on.

If your horse is as high and wide withered as my gelding a Berney Brothers saddle might work (fairly wide tree, panels come down very deep from the withers, wide gullet) These features would probably make a bad fit on a low-withered or more narrow backed horse. My berney (jumping model) is for sale as I bit the bullet and bought an R/P a couple years ago which allowed me to have a dressage saddle (much nicer for MY back) and still get a saddle that fit Grey's short, wide, little back.

In general a jumping saddle, then an a/p, and lastly a dressage type english is probably going to go shorter to longer.

You can email me at tvanhove at direcway dot com if you are interested in the berney - its not listed on ridecamp since its not an endurance saddle

Else give the list more info

cheers
Teresa and Grey and Shade