Re: [RC] [RC] What do you prefer for rain gear during a ride? - Laurie Durgin

I have a jacket and pants cut out right now, I am lining with mesh, and bought seam tape. My first attempt at waterproof stuff. I am making a short jacket /pants for riding, somehow I intend to add knee patches, maybe glue on cause I don't want rubs from tape.Then I may try a poncho, but don't like the 'floppyness' of ponchos.. I got my fabric for 3. 00 a yard on a Fabricline special last winter for waterproof breathable. I am also making saddle covers. Have cutouts for bottom of stirrups to go through (since I paid 1.00 a yard for this fabric I can really experiment.) I added elastic to go round the cantle and ties. It is a ripstop nylon and I doubled it for strength. For "slipperness" I am experimenting with adding maybe, 'fabric paint gel' dots. To the seat. Maybe .We get so much rain here in the Se. I also am not lining it as I think I'd layer a polar fleece shirt or vest for warmth underneath. May add velcro under arms or zippers,as I read all waterproof breathable fabric has a limit.If you sweat too much it just can't handle that much moisture transfer.And dirt affects it's ability too. That is why it would be nice to have more than one suit. Laurie

From: Alice Yovich <a.yovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   What do you prefer for rain gear during a ride?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:29:37 -0600

One of the things I plan to sew and just haven't found time to experiment with is rain gear. I have a cool poncho pattern that folds into a patch and you can wear it around your waist. I figured I could make it longer, or it could be paired with rain pants. I found some breathable/wp fabric, but i need to experiment with cheap fabric first <lol> don't want to blow my wad on expensive fabric if it won't work. I have to make sure it will still fit in the pouch if it's longer.

Alice Yovich, NATRC Reg. 4, Texas www.equi-threads.com

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/