RE: [RC] horse sense - Steph Teeter

I heard a news piece today about migratory birds - they will actually follow roads when they migrate over repeat routes,  going so far as to follow the cloverleafs on freeway overpasses, looping around before they continue in the right direction. Really makes me wonder if some horses don't learn to follow ribbons... I swear that mine do sometimes.

Steph
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of smuncy
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 6:58 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] horse sense

I  have  to respond to query about - 'horses sense of direction' with a definite - YES.  I have one such horse that  I have taken out a 'few' times to trails I was not really familair with and rode for miles, and in the end, after wondering around, decided to give him his head and he will get us back to the trailer every time. Also,I  had trails I used to ride that I had to give up for conditioning and speed work because seemed he know ways back better that me, not that we ever parted company -I  just got tired of argueing with him there. Now before anyone goes 'off' about riding in unfamilair areas, dangers, etc...relax. At no time time were we in danger of being "lost for days", etc,.  Just horses and other animals have an amazing directional capabilities, that we humans will never figure out. However,as was said, they may not pick the way you would prefer to go.   I especially have to be attentive when doing rides we have done before, even if a couple of years have elapsed between attending the ride, as it seems he remembers all to well where the trail was, and if the trail has changed and  I 'm not especially paying close attention; ie,  being a passenger, instead of riding, he will take the old trail. More that once I have had to yell at the time, that ,,, "yes, I know this isn't the right way!, but he insist it is........... I'll be right back."  Also, I found out the hard way, years ago, that when I can't "find"the  trail.. lack of markers, fatigue, poor marking, vandalism... as long as am not a front runner, I can more often as not allow him to find the trail......I'm sure they do this by scent, as when you ride along and think your horse is following ribbons; probably following the  scent of other horses. Now after saying that I have to admit that I have another horse that I have not tested with the 'finding his way home theory' and sometime wonder about his "smarts", hmm,  interesting test if weather ever breaks.
   For anyone looking for colored buckets........... do search .... Fortex Buckets,  they have most colors ( yellow. pink, purple and standard red, black, teal etc.) and can refer to dealer near you.  or  have you considered painting the buckets? StephanieHorse 3