[RC] re: stating a young horse - A. Perez

 I too am starting a youngster, so this is a topic I have read
up on.  There is no concensus.  Many trainers start 'long
yearlings' so they can sell them as soon as possible and get a
return on their investment, but many others feel that horses
should not be ridden until all 'growth plates' have closed.
This can be as late as 5 - 6 years old for some breeds.  The
bones mature 'from the ground up' - growth plates on the lower
limbs close before those on the upper limbs, and the spine
matures later than the limbs.
 Cherry Hill, in "Making, not Breaking" says when is less
important than how a horse is started, and that mental maturity
is as important as phsyical maturity, and varies from horse to
horse.  She likes (as do many other trainers) to back horses in
the fall of their 2nd year, riding them gently a few dozen
times, then turn them out for the winter to grow up some more,
then ride them the full summer of their 3rd year, then again
give them a winter off, and only as a 4 year old does she ride
them year round.
 This is just one approach.  I plan to do alot of ponying and
ground driving with my filly, even after she is backed.  Ponying
is especially good, as they can get accustomed to being out on
the trails, and get legged up, without straining their back.  I
am also a firm believer in every-other-day riding, so that any
minor strains can heal on the off-days, and the horse has some
'down time'.  This is just my opinion: others feel every day
training is essential (see
http://www.horsemanpro.com/articles/age_criteria.htm).

Don Blazer's website offers a very different opinion (which I
don't agree with):
(http://www.equiworld.net/uk/ezine/0901/ahorseofcourse1.htm)

He writes:
"I've always been an advocate of saddle training horses at a
young age. It has always gotten me into trouble---not with
horses, with people. What I'm about to say will probably
generate a lot more criticism. I like to saddle break (I use the
word "break" just to needle those who are already furious with
me) using horses when they are one-year-old.

I like to saddle break race horses from age 15-months to
18-months.

Now I've heard all the arguments against early saddle training.
"Horses shouldn't be racing as two year olds. You can't start a
jumper before he's four. Never saddle break a horse until he's
at least three years old. All you do, starting them young, is
break them down."

Horse feathers! It just ain't true!

And if you don't like what I just said, find some scientific
evidence to support the false notion early saddle training
breaks horses down. "

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag