Re: [RC] re: girths - heidi

And, just to be contrary, I've found that wool or otherwise
fuzzy girths don't work for my horses because of the river
crossings we do: they get sand in them from the splashing water.
And then the sand obviously rubs.  That's also one of the
reasons I don't use leg wraps of any kind.  (Only one of the
reasons.)

I'm not fond of leg wraps either, likewise for a lot of reasons other than
the sand thing--but our desert alkali can wear 'em raw as well.  For the
first time in my life I'm riding a horse that I really need to boot, and
the durn things have to come off at EVERY vet check and get thoroughly
washed.

We sometimes have problems with alkali clear up on the girths as well, and
if so, they come off and get washed at vet checks, too.  But compared to
the weeping sores that one gets from a neoprene allergy, the sand and
alkali rubs are nuthin.  One of our horses last year got deep, oozing,
swollen, painful sores bigger than silver dollars from just two SHORT
conditioning rides with neoprene.  Had to lay him off for 2-3 weeks
completely, and then still slather him with Desitin in order to even use
the woolback on him.  His "armpits" hurt so bad that he was goosey about
them for awhile afterward, and we had to be VERY subtle about even
cleaning and doctoring them.  Once healed, he's never looked back with the
woolbacks.  My first horse that was allergic to it wasn't quite so
spectacular about it.  I thought he had some sort of fungal infection for
awhile, but finally realized that it flared up whenever we used neoprene,
and went away when we didn't.

I'm sure the woolbacks aren't for everybody, as your post points out--but
they're sure worth considering.

Heidi