[RC] RC: Preriding the Tevis Trail - Lucy Trumbull

I read RideCamp through the archives, so people's email
addresses are blocked out and I can't reply to them
directly. It would be great if people could put their
email addresses at the bottom of emails - along the lines
of joe-bloggs AT my-company DOT com.

...Anyhoo:

Beth Bliss wrote:
I am currently on the list to ride in the Tevis race
and very excited to be looking toward that goal.

Congratulations on getting on the list - it seems that
this year even that is an accomplishment!

This year is going to be my first attempt as well. On
our side is the fact that I've been doing photography
and coverage of Tevis for the last seven years, plus I
live close to the trail (which *really* helps - and may
be the *only* thing that is on our side ;-)   )

Like you, I'm trying my best to stay calm about the
whole thing, but failing pretty dismally. It made me
laugh to read Becky Siler talking about how exciting
it was to see her and Miles' names on the list. And
there was me thinking I was the only one who thought
it was really weird to see our names there. <grin>

My question is how should I go about preriding some
of the trail?  I live in Southern Oregon.  I see they
have a fun ride in May, and was wondering if that is a
good time to meet some folks and check it out.  Can I
rent stalls in Auburn and spend a few days?  The Tevis
site recommends preriding about 3 weeks prior to the ride.
Is that a better time than in May?

I'm guessing the reason they suggest pre-riding closer in
time to the ride date is related to trail conditions. If
we had a wet spring here, the trails could still be sloppy
in May and you may have to cross creeks that aren't there
later in the summer. (Of course, the trails could equally
be totally hard-packed and there be no water in the creeks -
it all depends on how much rain we've had.) Also, as late
as June/July, some of the trails in the high country can
still be snowed in - again, depending on what sort of weather
we've had.

If you pre-ride it closer to the date, at least you'll have
a better idea of what the trail conditions are like (dusty,
rocky, soft, etc) and where you can get water along the trail
for your horse.

That said, if it looks like it has been pretty dry down here
(keep an eye on the doppler radar - we're right on the cusp
of the rain line, so sometimes we get dumped on the same time
as you do in OR, other times it misses us), there's no reason
why you can't preride sections of trail closer to the finish
to familiarise yourself with the trail layout. To do this, most
of the time you'll still need a driver to get your rig from
A to B, unless you do "out-n-back" rides, which isn't practical
on some of the longer stretches. Be aware that the river is not
always low enough to cross, so that's definitely something to
wait for summertime to do. However, you can get to it from both
sides and at the very least go down and inspect the crossing at
Poverty Bar, so at least you know what to expect.

There is a really nice trail map (complete with topo lines)
you can buy from the Auburn State Rec. Area HQ (530-885-4527)
(the HQ is in Auburn on hw-49 in the canyon, half-way down to
No-Hands). It shows (amongst the many trails in the canyon)
the WST from Michigan Bluff onwards and is invaluable if
you can't find someone familiar with the trail to ride with.
(Take note, however, that some of the trails they list as
"Tevis trail", particularly close to the end, are the
old route so not correct.)

With regard to renting stalls, the ride uses Auburn Fairgrounds.
Perhaps contact the WSTF office <wstf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> and ask
them about who to contact for stall rental?

Also, is arriving on Thursday evening before the ride an
O.K. time to get there?  Since I haven't seen the park, I
wondered about the space issues with that many people.

Robie Park is pretty huge, so I think you'll be fine.
Some people don't turn up until Friday, so Thursday
should be more than adequate. Try and get there before
dark (for the views and so you don't get lost in Robie
Park itself), make sure you have your directions (it's
a bit obscure to get to), and be ready to park in
amongst the bushes and trees and get *really* dusty
(Robie Park is made of talcum powder fine red dust which
coats everything).

Lastly, if it is already difficult to go to sleep at
night because of consuming thoughts of the competition,
how does one sleep the night before the ride?

:)))

I'm having trouble eating *right now* because of nerves,
and having stupid dreams about the ride and losing my
vet card, etc... so no, by the time I get to the ride
I'll be exhausted and bound to sleep (and then oversleep
the start...)     :)))))

Here's hoping my horse and I stay sound till then,

This is MY biggest fear... :))  I figure if we can get to
the start line sound, we'll have done a big piece of the
puzzle.

Beth Bliss (certified crazy and out of my league per husband)

Awww. Don't let him put you down. We all have to start
somewhere.

and Corduroy Knickers (1/2 Arab, 1/2 Mustang).

Good luck!

Let me know if I can try and answer any more questions about
the trail.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsie AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California