[RC] Wickenburg Ride - 1/31/04 - Part II - Vallonelee

We awoke early and Dave and Trudy were almost more nervous than the horses.  Kaci has done this ride two times before but she had not been to a ride in over two years.  Bravo just knew he was doing the 50 and wanted to get started. George was not impressed.   After a few delays and waiting for the frontrunners to clear out we started down the trail about 10-15 minutes behind the pack, on as controlled note as we could manage. The cool air and nerves were getting the best of the people and horses at this point.

Bravo and I took the lead and we started on the day's adventure.  The horses quickly settled into a great working trot as we wound around the saguaro, ocotillo and cholla cactus.  The views all day were spectacular.   The trail was perfect and the volunteers had even hand walked and raked the rocks from the two track area !  Now that is what I call dedicated volunteers.

The day remained slightly overcast and cool, and before we knew it we were at the first vet check in just about two hours.  This was right on the pace I wanted to set for the day for the new horses and riders.  This was to be an hour hold.  The horses pulsed down quickly and all vetted through with straight As.  They quickly settled into eating, but our desert horses didn't do too much drinking, since the weather was cool and the water was still a bit chilly.  At 30 minutes Bravo looked up as if to say "okay our hold time is over, let's go".  He never did get the idea that we were staying for an hour and just looked puzzled the rest of the hold.

We headed down the trail for the second half and by now the horses were very relaxed and comfortable. The new riders were able to enjoy the scenery and a lot of good hearted joking ensued.

All too quickly the finish line was in sight.  We crossed together in a ride time of just under 4 hours.  Not too bad for two new riders, one new horse and one old timer (not me, George the horse!).  There was even champagne at the finish line for the riders !

However, I must admit the highlight of the entire ride was right there at the finish line, when Dave pulled out a gorgeous diamond ring and proposed !  I was so focused on getting to the P&R area and vetting through that I was shocked and speechless - and any of you that know me, knows how rarely that ever happens.

We did vet through and everyone got a completion with straight As for all the horses.  George even won a bucket of Dynamite vitamins for being the oldest horse to complete the 25 mile ride.  A beautiful end to a wonderful ride !  And one that I know I will never forget.

Lee and Bravo
Dave and Kaci

P.S. I did finally say yes!

Lee
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out"