RE: [RC] Fwd: Wintec Fit Question - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

Greetings Tammyt et al:

        I am hoping (knowing Ridecamp, it might be difficult ) to correct a misdiagnosis of your saddle problem.

        First, how to tell if the problem is from a stirrup bar:  In '92, before I was riding intermediate myself, I was a spectator.  A smallish woman with a tall, drop dead gorgeous TB came back from cross country with a horse totally soaked in sweat.   When the saddle came off, there were two silver dollar sized, dry, raised areas under the saddle - the only dry spots on the horse.  When I flipped the saddle over, firm lumps were easily palpable thru the panel padding from the Stueben stirrup bars.  Similarly I have seen multiple foxhunters with Stueben generated white scars in precisely that location.  If you think your saddle has a stirrup bar problem, examine the bottom of the saddle; only if you can feel the bars thru the pading, are they causing a problem!

        Your description, Tammy, is different from the above injury.  I have partially or completely removed the panels from the underside of multiple Wintec saddles and can testify that they are designed to avoid a stirrup bar injury.  Rather Ron Bates has designed the bar so far away from the horse, that many people, myself included, use the Wintec webber leathers to avoid having a buckle dig into the thigh.

        Three things contribute to the hand sized dry areas, that you describe.  Heat, as you mention, is certainly a potential part.  The plastic underside of the saddle is unforgiving.  We favor the Supracor because it pumps cooling air under the saddle with each step.  Friction is also a part: if you rub your hands together they warm.  The purpose of the old fashioned sheepskin pad was to provide a sliding interface between horse and saddle.

        The third factor is a lack of symmetry of the underside of the tree and your horse;  there is a concentration of rider weight towards the front of your saddle.  On the saddle rocker page of our website, www.InvernessFarm.com,
http://home.earthlink.net/~qhll/Backs.htm, look at the waffly Supracor pattern in pictures 1 and 2.  That hand sized area is where the saddle rested before we modified the tree.  Most of our horses find the Wintecs more comfortable with the tree flattened to reduce rocker.

Quentin