Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2192 Christmas ride/getting separated from your horse - Mary Ann Spencer

Parelli covers this in a similar manner.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2192 Christmas ride/getting separated from your horse

Loose horses require that one "make haste slowly".  Think from the point of view of the horse:

You and/or your rider fall.  You are a bit scared.  When you are scared your instinct says: "Run, it is going to eat me".  If you then see your rider running towards you, making loud noises, the little part of your brain that can think says: "It must be worse than I thought, the leader of the herd is also running I will really get out of here.

If on the other hand, the leader is unconcerned, and moves slowly, perhaps even in a non direct line (relaxed horses rarely go straight to anything), and perhaps makes sounds associated with pleasent experiences, you just may conclude "I guess it isn't so bad, perhaps nothing is going to eat me."

There have been times in camps when I was slowly, circuitously, approaching an escaped horse only to have a paniced owner run towards us and the horse took off again.

People tend to think like preditors when excited.  An excited preditor runs after things.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875