Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 7:12 PM
Subject: lost shoes (was Re: [RC] [RC] this is not just a place to argue.)

Chris wrote: "REALLY, the farrier's job is to balance the hoof,
not to keep a shoe on."

Yeah but...

I used a farrier for a while, he shod a couple of my horses and they both
lost hind shoes in the same week early into their shoeing after never losing
shoes before.  I asked him if it was possible that there was a problem with
the application, and he promptly quit!  Would not shoe for me again.  I
later found out that a couple of my roper friends use him, and their horses
are always losing shoes - one of my friends who ropes AND shoes says he has
to nail shoes back on their horses almost every time they rope together.

I do think in my case the farrier really was doing something dysfunctional.
Maybe something simple like filing off too much of the nail after
clinching - over-dressing the nails so the work was more beautiful than
strong.  Or maybe not leaving the clinches quite long enough for a hard
working horse.  A foot that is not really level will also allow the shoe to
rock and work loose.  His work was fabulous looking.  I don't know what the
case was, but it turns out this guy has had enough clients complain about
lost shoes that he is REALLY sensitive about it.  Little did I know when I
mentioned it to him...

Anyway, just my $0.02.  Lost shoes happen, and biomechanical problems can be
a factor, but so can farriery (is that a real word?).

Happy Trails,
Michelle