[RC] The first horse I fell off. . . - Mike & Laurie Hilyard

was Blaze, my first pony.  She was 11 hands, about 15 years old, and wouldn't move forward unless you could countinuously cue her (kick, switch, whatever).  Since a saddle was too complicated for my complete inexperience (I was 9 years old), I slid off her sides frequently when she would swerve into any convenient driveway/gate that we passed on the road.  The faster you tried to go, the longer it took to get there.

I loved that horse - got her back when I grew up and she survived until her mid 30s.

I used to be able to ride bareback pretty well - by the time I outgrew her, I could walk, trot, canter,  jump 18 inches, back, pretty much anything, bareback.  Didn't really ride with a saddle until I was in my mid 20s, when the ground got a lot harder.

Laurie at Clare