From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people

Just to put things into perspective, how many sub-school age toddlers
has anyone recalled participating in this sport?  ( I know of only one,
and when he grew up and became a father, his son participated.  Both
were 5 years old at the time of their event.)  I don't consider 5-year
olds toddlers.  One of ours did a 50-mile hike in the Sierras over a
week's time when she was 5; now she's the national high-mileage ride and
tie participant in the nation. My point being:  are some of you making a
mountain out of a molehill for one or two 5-year olds who have done an
endurance ride?  AERC has already been forced to make a rule because of
two people stretching the intent of the sport.  Must we make more rules
because a couple of 5-year-olds want to ride endurance?

You're right, Barbara.  This is hardly an epidemic.  And because toddlers
are not beating down our doors to participate, I fail to see why some
people are so worked up over the small handful of very capable kids who DO
start to participate below whatever these people think the "magic" age
should be.  I repeat myself, but thank heavens that exceptional kids still
have a FEW things they can do that don't have arbitrary age limits!

Heidi