Re: [RC] [RC] Star Thistle - Nancy Sturm - Cathy

Horses will not normally eat Starthistle unless they are really hungry and there is nothing else.  BUT if they do start eating it, it is addictive and they will eat nothing else until the neurological effects of the plant take over and they are dead.  As already noted, it is a nasty death.

Cathy

-------Original Message-------

Date: 12/20/04 13:35:35
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Star Thistle - Nancy Sturm

Please Reply to: Erick Larson paradigm@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nancy:

I read with interest your post about a neighbors horse that died after eating starthistle.

My wifes Arab was born and raised in N. CA foothills above Oroville.  This is prime Starthistle territory.  I have watched him eat the stuff like candy, thorns and all!  The goats on the property love it too.

Is it posionous?  What treatment is there for it?

-Erick-

PS:  I'll not let Astros eat the stuff again until I find out if it will cause him harm.