[RC] Timothy hay / wildlife in NY - Laura Hayes

Timothy is the most common horse hay here in Western NY.  I buy it in 45 pound bales for $2. each.

As far as wildlife is concerned, I was riding in the Shut Up and Ride 50 in Allegany State Park along the NY/PA border in the fall of 2003.  I was feeling sort of annoyed because I was leading the race leaving the last check and my mare was really hungry so we stopped to eat some great grass and two riders passed me going like gangbusters.  I let her eat some more and then headed to the finish at a trot.  Just then, two black bears galloped across the trail in front of me - a small adult and a weanling!  The baby stopped and looked at me - too cute!  I rehabbed an injured bear a few years ago that was released in that area, so I was hoping they were offspring of his!!  I decided I would rather come in third and see the bears than win!!

Laura Hayes AERC#2741