[RC] Wildlife encounters - Cynthia Eyler

So far, we've either seen wild turkeys or heard them.  Not both.

A couple of months ago we saw a flock crossing the fire trail ahead of us.  Inwardly I pleaded for them not to start making any noise, figuring that my gelding would come unglued.

Well, of course, my apprehension sent a clear message of danger to Jack, and he absolutely refused to go forward when we reached the area where they had crossed the trail.  Lots of blowing and snorting, but no forward movement -- though of course he was quite amenable to spinning around and going back.  Finally dismounted and was eventually able to get him to follow me past where the turkeys had crossed.

All my fault.  If I'd started singing when I saw the turkeys, or better yet starting laughing, he would have been fine.

Cindy