Re: [RC] Riding amongst wildlife - Dyane Smith

Heidi Larson wrote:

 It's the 2-legged animals I worry about! The 4-legged ones usually just want to get away from us!

Boy, isn't that the truth!  Years ago, I was riding at night in Griffith Park, a large, rough (in so many ways) city park in Los Angeles.  We were coming down a steep fire road and Sun stopped, looked in the bushes and we waited.  After a while, a man came out of those bushes.  We followed him down the road, keeping his sorry "A" well in front of us.

Last summer, before hunting season, I was riding with a friend.  Suddenly, shots rang out almost next to us.  The horses around here are all very used to shooting, so they were calm.  We were wired to the wall.  Finally, the horses decided they should spook, if we were that upset.  Turned out to be two guys in a pickup about 50' in front of us, shooting at God knows what.  A few weeks later, different trail, different friend, still not hunting season, same, same, same scenario.

It's the 2-legged ones you have to watch out for.

Dyane (in N. Cal where deer, bob cat, skunk, coyote, couger, bear all hang out in or near the pasture and the horses assess their behavior to decide if they are dangerous.)