Re: [RC] [RC] ? [RC] Riding amongst wildlife - RDCARRIE

Love reading everyone's widlife encounters.  :)  I've encountered more deer
than I can count here in East Texas.  A couple of encounters have been rather
startling, but I stayed on.  <G>    We see feral hogs sometimes, but they are
more nocturnal.  Once I was galloping down a road on my mare, came around a
curve, and there was a sow and a bunch of baby pigs all over the road.  The
pigs scattered, and my mare sat back on her haunches and did a sliding stop
that would have made any QH reiner proud.  I ended up on her neck looking down
between her ears.    She straightened up, snorted, and off we went.  :)

I've gotten great looks at coyotes and gray foxes while riding, and saw a
bobcat dart into the brush once as I came around a curve.  Lots of armadillos,
a couple of which nearly landed me in the dirt as they bolted noisily off
through the underbrush.  During one 50 a couple of years ago, my horse was
trotting along on the last loop...I saw a 'dillo come bursting out of the grass
from the left, and before I could react (read: make frantic grab for
mane/breast collar strap), the 'dillo ran smack dab into my gelding's left
front leg, bounced off, and kept going.  Chivas snorted, did a hop-step, and
kept on trotting.  Lucky for me, he never saw the dillo coming. <G>

At one ride, a friend and I were trotting on a single track trail through a
patch of woods, and came upon a very large skunk ambling down the trail ahead
of us.  No way to go around it (woods too thick), so we followed it at a safe
distance.  I "pushed" it as hard as I dared (paying close attention to its body
language <G>), till it finally turned off the trail and we went on.

Most "exciting" deer encounter was a couple of weeks ago.  Hubby and I were
riding on some private property (one of his clients), and were riding
separately.  General was really moving out, we came flying around a curve in a
dirt road, and about 40 axis deer (large spotted deer native to Asia) were in
the middle of the road right in front of us.  The deer bolted en masse, General
hit the brakes and did a hard 90 degree turn to the left into the woods, and I
was swearing and hanging off the side, grabbing for anything I could find.
Managed to stay on, but it wasn't pretty.  <G>  This landowner has a high fence
around their 5600 acres, and has about 350-400 axis deer, as well as some sika
deer.  The sikas are generally solitary, but the #$%@ axis are more herd
animals, and can be "exciting" when encountered unexpectedly.  LOL

Dawn in East Texas