RE: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

My son used to love everything about rides......except the time they
started.  By choice, even as a small child, he did not wake up until 10 AM
and if you woke him earlier, his brain did not engage until about 10 AM
even if his body was moving.  So, Kris sounded like that kid below at the
start of EVERY ride.  By mile 5 he was usually having a great time and he
always said what fun it had been when the ride was >>>done.  But at 7:00
AM?  WHINE WHINE WHINE.

I'll second that. On Josie's first ride she was crying. If you didn't know
better you might have thought she didn't want to ride...now for what *really*
happened. She'd wanted to do this ride as long as she could remember. As we
were going down the trail her horse cut tight and whacked her knee on a tree.
It hurt and made her cry a *little*...THEN she got mad because she was crying
on what was supposed to be the happiest day of her life. She kept getting more
and more upset at herself for crying on the happiest day of her life. Finally I
was like the person who slaps the hysterical woman on the airplane. I yelled at
her and said would you quit focusing on what's already happened because you've
got a ride to ride! After that she got control of herself and all was well.

I used to be sick at my stomach the night before a ride because I was nervous.
At Josie's third ride she was excited about the ride all week and the night
before, but on ride morning she felt sick before the start and I had a terrible
time deciding whether to have her start. She was not enthusiastic. I gambled
and told her I had a feeling it was nerves and sure enough the second the ride
started she was a very happy kid with no more nausea. If she'd started puking
and turned out to have a stomach virus I can imagine how mean people would have
thought I was if they heard her say she felt sick before the ride. Now she's
dying to do a 100. If we did one together she'd probably at some point say,
"Mom, why did you let me do this?"...and if we stopped for the rest of her life
she'd whine, "Mom, why did you let me quit?" >g<

Angie