RE: [RC] Feeding Questions - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

>*Include a dietary aid such as live yeast culture. Live yeast culture can improve feed utilization and helps >stabilize the environment in a horse's hind gut - where most of the dietary problems arise. There are >supplements on the market that contain a whole range of live bacteria and enzymes but these can be >expensive. Live yeast culture is available in a number of prepared feeds including StableMaster Cool >Command, Energise Plus and the supplement Groom.

Trish Dowling up north published a very illuminating study which demonstrated that the viability of a lot of the live microbial products is pretty compromised (read Dead) by the time it gets to the horse.  No aspersions on the manufacturers, more of a problem with hot shipping containers, storage in hot warehouses and tack rooms, etc.  The best of the bunch was Pro-Bios, the stuff that comes in a blue and white syringe.  Can’t remember the manufacturer, but its not the product made by ABC.  Anyway, the conclusion was that if you wanted to get live microbials into your horse, then the best method is probably to feed him some live culture yogurt.  That’s what I’ve been doing in practice for the post-surgery colitis horses and it works pretty well.

*Use whole oats. There will never be a better whole cereal for horses than oats. They are high in fibre, high in oil, very palatable and the starch is predominantly digested in the small intestine. If your horse can take oats - feed them whole and feed them often.

No arguments there, in reasonable amounts.

The article I found on increasing appetite, claimed that a product called Ration Plus for Horses, which has some sort of enzymes in it (a bacteria-based probiotic). http://store.longacresfarm.com/RP_horses1.aspx#Proof

Is this information accurate, Susan G.? Is it possible that this supplement would really help a horse to gain weight and actually have an increased appetite?

I’m not familiar with Ration Plus other than anecdotally, and this particular website just had testimonials, nothing about what’s in it, clinical trials, etc (which I tend to pay a lot more attention to, and no, I don’t count Michael Plumb as a research source).  So it’s possible there are viable substances that help with digestion and such, but couldn’t say at this point.

My mare has hay in front of her 24/7 (red oat, oat/wheat/barley, aflalfa), she just does not have the desire to eat much. She doesn't even finish her mash of beet pulp, sunflower seeds, and rolled oats,  UNLESS I add LMF Senior to it. She also will only eat carrots occasionally, and never apples, however, she loves Manna Pro Apple Wafers. I've been trying to put weight on her since June, she's gained some, but still needs more. What do I do now?

What the heck, try adding the Ration Plus without adding and changing anything else and see what happens.  If it’s the miracle supplement it claims to be, your mare should be chewing down the barn before the New Year.  Give it a try and let us know.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM