Re: [RC] LD's and 50 garbage - gary affleck

Could be just part of the sport.  Why don't all Marathoners run ultra marathons?  They run marathons to train among other distances.  Same with other runners, why would one train at 100 yards, when they could run the 440?  Maybe they just have preference to to that.  It's  their body atop their Horse, so they may do as they wish.  I really think most people would agree with that.  I believe that what other people do has nothing to do with anybody else, unless it impacts them in a harmful way.   Smiley emoticon           G.Affleck
----- Original Message -----
From: sherman
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: [RC] LD's and 50 garbage

Lianne,

It is not necessary to do an LD before a 50 IF you prepare properly. Many 50 & 100 mile riders have never done an LD.  Before doing a 50, I did many (and still do) 25+ mile training rides. They just do not require the same logistical planning as 50 mile rides do, and I can do one every weekend. This is no put down to anyone who wants to do LDs, but why would one want to do a sanctioned LD if they often ride that distance in training? JMHO.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA