[RC] OT -- Long's Peak - Joe Long

I sent this a few days ago but it never made it.  It's a bit off-topic, but as
it relates to some recent discussion about 100 mile rides -- about setting
challenging goals, and then going for them -- I hope it will be OK.

Colorado is famous for it's "fourteeners," mountains over 14,000 feet at the
summit.  There are several ways you can get to the top of some of them.  You can
ride the Pikes Peak railroad, sitting in comfort and having a guide point out
all the scenic wonders as you go.  You can drive up Pikes Peak and some of the
others in your car.  But to get to the top of Long's Peak in the Rocky Mountain
National Forest, there is only one way up ... on your own two feet (horses can
do the lower trails around the mountain but as you'll see if you go to my
website there's no way they can reach the summit).

Climbing Long's Peak was a challenge that for many years, I hoped to achieve.
While not a "technical" climb, a fit person with the will can do it, it's no
walk in the park either.  The round trip took me eleven hours, and the Park
Rangers advise starting at 3am and allowing eight hours for the ascent alone
(and almost as much to get back down).  People die climbing this mountain, in
fact a young man died on Long's Peak just two weeks before I made my ascent.

Anyway, have a look at the photos at http://www.rnbw.com/LongsPeak .  The one of
me on the top, arms upraised, fingers spread in a "V" for Victory, huge smile on
my face, is now the wallpaper on my computer.

It's all about challenges, and the lasting satisfaction that comes from meeting
them.  I've had the same feeling at the finish of many 100 mile rides.

What a rush!

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx