Re: [RC] Trailer Brakes - Sisu West Ranch

There are a lot of good controlers out there. Wiring them does require finding a few wires, and providing the power wire. Most have good instructions, but if you are not used to truck electrics you might want to hire your local RV dealer to do it.

The "better" ones have some sort of system to measure how fast you are stopping and increase the amount of braking when stopping hard. They do work, but not as good as they should.

I had one of these die when in MT for the first time. The symptom, which is typical I am told, was that the trailer brakes came on hard and full when the truck brakes were touched. I was fortunate that it happened leaving a flat camp area. I stopped at the local RV dealer. He recommended the cheapest (Draw Tite brand) one he had. It does not need to be leveled and does not adjust for perceived deceleration, it just puts on the brakes. He said that I would find that around town I would need to set it to a lower number, to then increase the number (and thus the break effort) on the highway, and increase again going down passes. Since it has large lighted numbers, it is relatively easy to adjust while towing.

The disadvantage is that if in a panic stop situation, there is no extra brake available, unless you can remember to turn things up. I have never needed to do a real panic stop with the other kind, so I don't know how much difference there would be. Under normal usage, the deceleration sensor does not seem to do to much adjusting. I only have experience with two units (each one a different brand), so there may be better ones.

The new Ford Super Duties are available with a factory controler that actually senses the break line pressure and the state of the antilock system and adjusts things accordingly. That should be awsome.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875