Re: [RC] LDs as Endurance - Cynthia Eyler

Frank,

It sounds as though that guy would have written off any advice from you as coming from a 'jealous-competitor-just-trying-to-slow-me-down-so-he-can-beat-me' -- no way you could have made a useful impact on his behavior.  In situations like that, we can only rely on the vets to help the horse and perhaps get through to the rider.

This makes me think of a particular vet (also a competitor) in our part of the country who really pisses off some riders.  [I have very limited experience myself as a competitor, but I have worked as a vet recorder at many rides in the mid-Atlantic area.]  My observation has been that if this vet believes you are trying to take good care of your horse, she will happily work with you, advise you, etc., to help you get your completion.  But if she thinks your ego (or stupidity) are working to the detriment of your horse, she will cut you absolutely no slack at all.  And she's not necessarily sweet about it.  [We volunteers are cheering inwardly, and trying not to show it, when this happens.]  My kinda vet!  If I need a kick in the pants, she'll give it to me.

Cindy