Re: [RC] Toe Length - Truman Prevatt

I have to agree with Karen on this point. An Xray and a vet are the way to go. I have baseline Xrays on my horses feet, front and both sides. When I start a horse in training I get baseline Xrays. It is an investment worth it weight in gold. I now know what I am dealing with and how I need to shoe him.  If a question comes up - is this new, we can find out.

There is a lot of external stuff that can be proposed and argued about - but when the rubber meets the road, an Xray will provide a lot more information.

Truman

Karen Standefer wrote:
Any deviation in the dorsal hoof wall (viewed laterally) indicates pathology.  And, actually, if it is more toward the lower third of the hoof wall, the worry is less than if it's at the top portion.  There is not much attachment to the coffin bone in the lower 1/3 of the hoof wall, but the top 2/3 should be tightly attached to the coffin bone.   So, if there is flaring/deviation in the top 2/3 of the hoof wall, it is indicative of trouble that needs to be fixed immediately.
Typically, when the top 1/2" or so of the hoof wall is at a steeper angle than the lower portion of the hoof wall, it indicates that the coffin bone is sunken (distance from the extensor process to the hairline has increased) which means the laminae are stretched and/or torn.  That is not to say that you can't have a sunken coffin bone without this deviation, but most of the time if you have this deviation, you have a dropped coffin bone with laminar inflammation and possibly worse..

Here is a link to a sight that shows how to assess the health of the hoof using x-ray parameters.
http://equinewellnessfound.org/articles/EVALUAT2.pdf

Karen

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin