Re: [RC] Free political commentary on the Gulf News article - Truman Prevatt

The Soviet Union had Pravda and the UAE has Gulf News. There are few places in the world that enjoy a free press as we do in the US, Canada and Europe. While it is positive that there is now some publicity - maybe even admission - of the problem, I wouldn't put much creditability in the reports of a Government run newspaper.

The good news out of this may very well be they are starting to feel some heat.

Truman

Maryanne Gabbani wrote:
Not to be a wet blanket (endurance related?) but the Gulf News is owned and operated by the powers that be and only prints news to their favour. Someone with a faster connection than my gerbils could probably find that it is published in Abu Dhabi rather than in Dubai.

It is worth noting that it is the Nahyan's who are establishing the center. They are the rulers of Abu Dhabi and Sheikh Zayed's son won the election to become President of the Emirates on his father's death. Sheikh Zayed, for all his eccentricities like the mountain that he had built so that he could see all his endurance tracks, was a very well-respected man. My friend, HE Moh Maktoum from Dubai was hoping to take over the Emirates as President on Zayed's death, but he didn't win the election. Competition within the UAE is intense. You should see the stuff that goes on at the free and easy races here between Dubai and Abu Dhabi...it's a hoot unless you want to take these races seriously.

My bet is that the Nahyan's saw a great opportunity to score points off the Maktoum's, and honestly, if it gets the job done, who cares? I love Middle East politics. LOL

Maryanne
Cairo