Re: [RC] LSD Base????/Regaining it? - DESERTRYDR1

My mare was off all last year.  In February she tore a suspensory.  She spent
about four months in a stall after having been almost ready for the first 50
of the season when she got hurt.  In late July I rode her a little bit, mostly
walk with a little trot.  It was pretty obvious to me that she got tired
after a few miles.  After about a month of riding 2-3 times a week she was able
go about 7-8 miles with half walk, half trot (slow) and maybe a tiny bit of
gallop (like a hundred yards or so) without acting tired. In September, after
about a month or so of riding, she sprained a little ligament down in her
pastern, as near as the vet and I can figure.  Laid her off for about eight
weeks,
mostly in a stall.  She got sound, and I rode her a few times, then she
tangled with the cable fence, tore most of the hide off one hind leg, again
ended up
in a stall.

So in the last years, she's had MAYBE 30 rides, some of them in the arena for
45 minutes.  I plan to bring her back REAL slow.  I will be using my HR
monitor, and if it blips, I will be looking for a reason.  I also bought a
Garmin
Forerunner 201, so that I can more accurately track speed and distance.  It
keeps a three year history of all your training runs, so (if I figure out how
use all the features-my teenage son doesn't live here anymore) I will be able
to approach her re-conditioning a bit more scientifically.  I hope to do some
LDs before the end of the year.

But, all you have to do is look at a picture of her when she was fit for a
50, and look at her today to realize how out of shape she is.  She has a
serious
lack of muscle and muscle tone.  Her hind end has lost a lot of muscle,
enough so she hardly looks like the same horse.

I plan to see how she reacts, how fast she gets aerobically fit, and how her
muscling develops.  Since I've never had to bring a horse back from so much
time off, I'll be curious about the answers to your questions too.  jeri