[RC] [RC] Adelante and EDPP - Dyane Smith - Karen Standefer

No, he doesn't even eat/drink on training rides AT home.  Once I took him on a 4 hour training ride with friends.  We stopped for lunch at about 2.5 hors.  All the horses hunkered down and ate except Adalante.  He ate a couple of bites and then untied himself and went trotting home!  Luckily he got scared after about 10 minutes and came trotting back.

I've never had to fight this issue before, but I certainly have had friends that have and it's maddening.  That's why Adelante will just be a trail horse from now on.

He might do really well at CTR.  I don't know.  Unfortunately, I'm not interested in CTR.  It's also possible that he would do really well with a buddy that was always with him.

Even at home he's fairly nervous.  Frequently he is so interested in what's going on in the woods that he'll grab a bite of hay, trot out to the middle of the 30 acre pasture and listen.  He'll repeat this until the hay is gone.  I'm sure that's why he's so thin and the rest of my crew are butterballs!

Anyway, I have no doubt that he will improve as he gets to know/trust me better.  But, I doubt he'll ever make an endurance horse.   At least not one that I'm willing to risk it with.  Seems to me he'd start out at an even worse defficite than most horses with nerves like this.

Referenced Post:
Karen, I'm interested in this because I have a horse like that.  I had
assumed that my horse is green and just needs more time in the saddle, more
time on the road, more experience in general.  Does Adelante eat and drink
anytime you're away from home, on training rides, that sort of thing?

Do you think of him being interested in CTR?

Guess I just wonder what I might be up against.

Dyane Smith
North, North, Very North California