[RC] Torn Tendon - Stephanie Caldwell - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: S. Howell whisperfeather@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Steph,

I appreciate you post to my torn tendon message.  Actually I already use
Southridge and Dr. Smith was the first vet to come out to my call.  She
diagnosed my mare with a foot injury as she had also hurt her foot at the same
time.  I think a lot of Dr. Smith, but I also took my horse to the clinic to
see Dr. Parker a week and half later for x-rays and nerve block, who also felt
it was a foot injury.  By 3rd week had Dr. Parker come out as the leg swelled
again.  He felt then that maybe there was some tendon damage...came back
several days later with the ultrasound and found the damage.......4 weeks
passed before she was correctly diagnosed ....4 weeks she could have been in
rehab for tendon damage instead of an abcess that she never had.  I was told to
stall her and put on sport boots 24/7.  She developed sore places on her
pasterns, but when I called the vet clinic and left my request as what to do
about the boots and sores. Dr. Parker..called after I left the house and said
he would call back....it was 3 days before I got a response and then it was my
calling them again.  Steph, I have not heard from them since then and several
weeks have passed now.

With this being my first torn tendon in my 20 years of dealing with horses, and
my falling through the cracks at the clinic after being with them for about 15
years............the whole thing has me turned inside out.

So I am seeking advice from people who have been through it as I feel like I am
on my own with my horse's care as the vets keep forgetting about their old
customers..........

Thanks again for your advice...........

Happy trails...