[RC] Shoes, barefeet, dogs, self defense - beth glover

When I was a child, we mainly  rode our horses barefoot, and my sis's father in law trimmed them all the time by himself. Sometimes we got shoes.  We didn't ride very far, because soon they built the 210 freeway and ruined our trails. When we rode on the freeway, we got in trouble. That was really good footing too. You could ride with shoes or barefoot on the freeway.

The other day, I rode with my friend, and I took my barefoot filly, and she rode my mare who is sporting Natural Balance shoes in the front and St. Croix in the back.  Nothing happened. But I won't do that again.  That could have been borrowing trouble.

Sometimes I think about bringing my dog to a ride, that could be fun. Or maybe not.  I haven't done it.  It is so cold in that old camper, and sometimes I don't think I have enough body insulation. That dog is very warm, with very soft and fluffy fur, and I am always very cold. I am cold today, even when it is 40 or 60. She would keep me company. But then I wonder if the dog would get tangled up in a rope, or escape, or die of the heat , or get stolen. That dog would need a bath too, because she is stinky. What a pain in the neck! One time I saw a dog chained to a trailer at a ride, and someone rode right in between the space between the  dog and the trailer, and got his legs caught in the chain and it cut his leg. I would be pissed!

My friend went on a safari in India. On the trail there, she saw a tiger walking towards her. She took photos and she was very close. She was shaking with fear she told me. They were unarmed and the tiger walked away.  I know we have a mountain lion up the street. I know there is a damned coyote that poops in my front yard nightly just to tease the dog.  I see coyotes all the time, and bears sometimes, but not the mountain lion. They are more shy.  I don't worry too much about those coyotes, as long as they keep their distance. Sometimes they get real close. I yell at them and call them bad dogs, they hate that. Some neighbors feed them and it teaches them bad manners. If there are no more coyotes, then maybe the lion ate them all. So we are glad to have them around.  I hate finding the bear cub but not the mother. That is annoying. Sometimes I worry about those lions every time I ride, and sometimes at other times I worry also. I have a very good and sharp NATRC knife that I can use at trail obstacles to cut ropes there, if they ask me to. If the lion grabs me by my head, I will be sure to try to poke him.  I have grown up reading stories of outdoorsmen/hunters trying to defend themselves from grizzly and moose attacks. They usually wind up poking the animal with their sharp knife while their head is in it's mouth. Then they write a story about it.  Probably domestic bulls, and Los angeles psycho gang banger rapists are more dangerous than other animals. I should carry that knife around in the yard every day when I feed in the dark. I could hit the lion with the giant flashlight, a lot of good that would do me. The neighbors would love me shooting off some gun at 5:00 in the morning. "Oh sorry I was thought I was just shooting lions."

You'll all be glad to know that I finally  joined AERC, and that you now have me to count amoung your members. Isn't that reassuring? I feel great! I wonder why didn't I join before?

Beth Glover

High-speed users?be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=