[RC] safety basics/riding alone - RENESPONY

hi
i too ride alone A LOT. i feel pretty safe as my horse listens better without
the stampede and horsey peer pressure
my horse can be a real screw, and i am always careful, but i have always
believed in the basics of safety, even if people think I'm being ridiculous
i have rode with many types of people for years, and can you believe out of
some times 12 people on a ride i am the only one with a first aid kit?
but this has also turned into "oh if you ride with rene you'll be fine cause
she's got everything" or some times "i don't need orange, cause you got so
much on nobody will shoot us!" i could be gone for 5 hours and nobody will come
looking for me because I'm so well prepared, that i must be fine.(thanks guys!)
1. always wear a helmet
2. always wear easy to remove clothes that don't require you to take off that
helmet to change layers, or get off the horse first, then yank your clothes
over your head.
3. always carry some basic first aid items to help you or your horse, and any
medicine you take
4. always tell someone, or leave a note where you are going "if i am not back
by {blank} time come look for  me."
5. take a jacket or something in case you end up spending the night, or its a
long time till you get help
6. wear extra clothes (most seasons) you can always unbutton, unzip or tie
that extra layer around you waist so it goes with you when you go off.
7. food/ water i would just perish if i went more than 3 hours without eating!
and a drink in hot weather is a must.
8. a hoofpick or some type of multi-tool to pry out stuck objects or cut wire
from your horses legs
9. a whistle will last longer than your voice.

some things that i personally do are:
1. i don't get off unless i really need to, reducing the chance of getting
caught half on-half off
2. i try not to cross major roads, in case my horse decides to run home
3. I need to wear a protector vest, my horse likes to bounce off trees when
spooked!
4. choose your path carefully. no crazy neighbors, blasting zones, bad dog
roads, scary terrain, or trail blazing when I'm alone. i stick to the easy
trails that i know real well, so when I'm dragging myself to safety with one
arm, i
know which direction to head for, or which house is the closest.
i also would know where to have someone come get me with a trailer if my
horse was hurt, and the shortest route to get there.
also maybe today is the day that you should ride in a more secure western
saddle!

Rene and Rugby