Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Archive Use (boots, etc.) - Karen Sullivan

Some thoughts on this shoeing stuff.....

I had a horse in the SF Bay Area for 7 years that only had shoes on once
(conditioning for and riding Almaden Triathalon).
I did the rest of all my trail riding "barefoot", and maybe had her trimmed
once or twice a year. The footing in the foothills was mostly soft dirt.
She did just great, never seemed ouchy and of couse, I saved a bundle of
$....

Not the same story 200 miles north.  Our terrain is much harder, gravelly or
rocky.  I am currently shoeing 3 horses (have had up to 5 shod), costs a
fortune.  I have not been able to go barefoot with any of them; we have
tried. We cannot even trail ride, or pleasure ride barefoot. My daughers
Arab is barefoot, and we were going to not shoe or ride her over the winter;
but she got more and more ouchy as the winter progressed and I am guessing
her feet softened from all the mud.
Obviously, this time of year, the horses are on damp or muddy ground unless
they are in the stalls at night on stall mats.

I have tried easy boots on and off, and probably am too impatient a person
to take the time to put them on properly or glue them...they might be more
of an option.  Again, my hopes Boa boots might work for a barefoot horse
over the winter, just to be able to do short pleasure rides.  If someone
comes out with a protective boot that is easy to put on, wears great, gives
good traction, and does not cause any soreness or rubbing; I would be right
there!!!!

Absolutely no way here to condition for endurance without some sort of foot
protection; based on my observations of my horses and friends horses...we
have volcanic soil, many areas with shards of obsidian.....

However, if someone can demonstrate this; ride with us, I am always open to
seeing if any kind of special trimming would make a difference.  I am real
curious to ride with Linda Cowles, who seems to be having success with
barefoot trim and protection (Am I right here Linda?), but again, her area
is probably 30-40 miles from me; different soil and terrain.

I have been extremely lucky to find a farrier I think is great.  His shoes
stay on 8 weeks, he has done amazing things to encourage feet to expand
several sizes, he explains what he does, and has brought a friends older
horse back from unsoundness (20 yr horse), by giving her the right angles
and bigger shoe.  All in all, if I want to go out, catch up a horse and go
for a ride, having him shoe my horses is overall the most cost effective way
to achieve it!  I have rarely, for the past 6 weeks, had a horse with
downtime from a hoof problem or missing shoe.

Karen