[RC] re: loose dogs - oddfarm

I have four dogs left and love them dearly. They don't come to rides with me though. They are my companions AT HOME but so is my husband and he is left behind as well. Bringing the pets along is a privilege, not a right. Some public forests and water management areas do not allow dogs while camping. It's ok for hunters to bring dogs in and leave them in the woods, but the rest of us can't do that. Don't get me started.

There was a dog that was always loose and always growling and snapping at people and horses. He liked to hide under the trailer and when you walked by he'd get ya! And he was fast so you couldn't kick him and neither could your horse. I guess he bit a few people.

Well, I overheard a conversation at a ride between the owner and someone who evidently got bit by his dog. It went something like this.

Alleged victim: "You better get that S.O.B dog on a leash!"
Not very bright owner: "Aww, he's alright, ain't gonna hurt no one."
Victim: "Your dog bit me, now get him on a leash!"
Really not bright owner: "Oh now, he didn't bite you. He's a good dog."
Victim: "Well, my husband is a really good vet, and he'll rip every damn tooth outta that dog's head if he bites me again! You get him on a leash!"
Owner must now be a little more educated as I haven't seen that dog in a while.

I am not a good vet, (I'm not a vet at all :) but I do have a great pair of pliers. They ought to take care of that peeing on the hay problem as well. Just a "wee" leeetle pinch will stop that flow! Seriously, you can't blame the dogs. I don't think there is any such thing as a stupid dog, (except greyhounds and they are "simple", not stupid) just really ignorant dog owners.

I can tell you this, the annoying dogs have annoying owners and dog etiquette goes right over their heads. What are you gonna do? Just drink a little more and chill out. Some things you just can't control, like ignorant people.

Lisa Salas, teh Odd faRm