RE: [RC] Barefoot - Linda Cowles

> Replying to post about barefoot horses and  "challange" of riding a horse barefoot in
> Old Dominion Rides, Cosequin , and several other  'high profile' rides.

I've ridden the Old Dominion trails. Tough trail, tough footing.

Understand this; I'm not going barefoot to find unique ways to torture my horse. Most folks who are barefoot converts are people like me... I'm pragmatic, and the simple fact is that I don't *have* to nail metal shoes to a growing hoof wall to keep Gavilan sound. The hoof is meant to expand and contract with each footfall, and I have options that allow that to happen. Barefoot works sometimes, and removable boots work when the going gets tough. No, these boots aren't perfect yet, but folks like me can drive their development in the direction that will benefit our horses.

I've done a lot of distance running, I understand concussion and shock absorption as a runner... when I add miles and varying terrain to my rides, I'm going to protect Gab's hooves, and metal shoes aren't an option anymore.

Even when I shod Gabby, finding a good farrier was hard. Scheduling shoeing is a pain in the ass, and it's expensive. Gavilan hates having shoes nailed on, and got to the point where he threatened to sit on his farriers and scowled when I force him to stand. He likes being barefoot. And he doesn't mind me putting EasyBoots on! He hates the shoes... Asking him to race in them is like asking me to race in steel toed contractors boots. I love my Asic Gel's, and I want something similar for him. His bare feet work great when I can choose conditioning routes that are ideal for it, and boots get us through tough terrain.

He's stood quietly for as long as 5 hours, untied, while I learned to trim him sitting under him on a mechanics stool... laying his own foot in my lap when I ask for it. He's my partner, not a machine. I listen to him; he hates the nailed on shoes.

Every winter RideCampers find a few topics like this to grind on and on about. It gets old after a while, but it does us all a lot of good to have these public discussions.

Going barefoot is liberating... When the ground is soft, we go barefoot like we did yesterday; we gad a great ride! When it's rocky, I slip boots on him. If I intend to compete in a ride - any ride - I'll do a fair amount of my conditioning with boots on even when I don't need to, because I may need to use them and preparation reduces the risks. I haven't ridden competitively for a while, but I condition. I electrolyte when it's appropriate, I use a HRM if I'm going on a long or tough ride. If it's cold, I stick my rump rug on the saddle even if I don't really need it.  I carry easy boots, I carry a jacket for myself. A helmet. Prepare.

Other folks want to use nailed on shoes? It's your horse. They aren't an option for me anymore. It's NOT a judgment, it's a decision.

Happy trails!  Linda

Linda Cowles
Horse 'N Hound
New, Used & Consigned