[RC] Barefootin Historically - goearth

Brrr. its cold outside and a snow storm called for.  But i got to thinking about the 1716 trek in Va. to open up the west and cross the Blue Ridge by the Knights of the Golden Horseshoe and Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood.  Living down near the ocean and the tidewater area they didn't use shoes as they didn't need them in the sand.  It was only when they decided to cross the Mountains that they needed them and applied them.  Upon their return they called themselves the KoTGH and supposedly gave out miniature golden jewel-encrusted horseshoes as momentos of the trip.  When i first came to Luray in 1974 and rode the mountains, not knowing what endurance was but just riding for the adventure i only had fronts and never shod in the rear or had a problem at all on these notorious rocks,sometimes riding 30 miles over mountains.  I am not an opponent of barefootin and would welcome any knowledge about alternative hoof care and practices.   Sure, there are times when shoeing is needed and should be done.  But the horses feet Darolyn showed me were some of the best balanced and trimmed feet i have ever seen.   And, that makes me a leaning proponent. tOMs