[RC] How to decide if your horse's Toes are too long? - DreamWeaver

people say... "you know that horses toes are a little too long". I personally don't think they are, but I've now been pulled from 2 rides with a lameness in the same leg.. Right front.. and I'm wondering if these folks are right.
I have heard that there are measurements that can be taken that will help me know if the length is correct for that horse, but I can't remember how to take those measurements and what they meant.

Hi Lucie -- the best way to find that out is to go to a good vet and get xrays (the more modern equipment is awesome, they can take a photo of your horses foot and in 25 seconds it's up on a large monitor where they can view it and measure and analyze the angles, etc.) and have them tell you if your horses feet are right or not. This will cost less than an entry fee and/or fuel to even one ride. Plus, you may be able to diagnose and find the problem which may or may not be originating in the foot. I have seen horses who had feet that looked in proper proportion that according to xrays were not being shod the best way.

Also, do folks still Hot shoe?

Yes, my husband is my farrier and he hot shoes. He even hot shoed when we were putting the plastic ground controls on. He just used a regular metal shoe to do the hot shoeing, then would apply the plastic. I don't know if it made a difference or not but I did not have any of the problems with those shoes that a lot of other people reported. I think hot shoeing helps ensure that the foot is balanced and a lot of successful endurance horses are hot shoed (and a lot probably aren't, so it might not make any difference <G>). Dave is also pretty meticulous when it comes to measuring the angles and toe length for each horse. He said that their toe length is usually about 3 1/4".

Karen