[RC] Wild Horse controversy/letter to Whitehouse - Kimberly M Price

Thank you for clearing that up Stephanie but I am getting personal hate
mail that isn't going to ridecamp and then 'toned down' mail from the same
person going to ridecamp.  I don't think there is justification for this.

If you all want to vent your opinions with someone who is trying to change
the bill right now and who may have different viewpoints then yours, try:

Ginger Kathrens
Taurus Productions
Co-Founder, Wild Horse and Burro Freedom Alliance
Email: taurusproductions@xxxxxxxx
Website: www.taurusproductions.net

She is publishing the following on different forums for those who would
like to try and stop this rider from going through.  They are also looking
for different solutions to the problem, such as tax incentives for sanctuaries
etc.

Good day to all, I am out of here now.  Kimberly
Hi All,

*****  forwarded ******
Today some of the aides to the House members who have been very involved

with the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (AHSPA)held a meeting to

try to work on the problem that Amendment 142 has created. I have been
asked to get the following messages out to as many people as possible and
am asking for your help. Please pass the following info on to everyone you

can think of and cross-post to all the groups you belong to that allow the

cross-posting of messages.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with the Amendment let me give you a real brief

history. Last week the House and Senate unanimously voted to make December

13th the National day to recognize the horse and its contributions to our

country. While we were celebrating this great milestone in our work to ban

horse slaughter in the US, on Saturday, November 20th in a committee meeting

an amendment, 142, was attached to the Omnibus Appropriations Bill that

would allow OUR protected mustangs to be sold for slaughter. This
amendment, 142, basically revokes the 1971 Wild and Free-Roaming Horse and

Burro Act that protects the mustang from death. Nobody saw the amendment

coming and the bill was rushed through the House and Senate without the

ability to read the roughly 4,000 pages. Other very wrong amendments were

also attached to the bill and one that was highly publicized allowed people

to view any individual's tax returns. That amendment is being changed as
we
speak.

Now to what we can do. First, since the only one who can withdraw the
amendment is Sen. Conrad Burns and he refuses to do so that avenue is
closed. If anyone has a mind to you may want to write letters to the editor

in his area (Billings and Great Falls Montana). Senator Burns is not
working with Goodlatte as some have speculated. The amendment was added
in
response to one of his supporters and contributors, a cattle rancher in

Montana who priviously floated a plan to ship our mustangs to "sanctuary"
in
Mexico. Senator Burns is very resolute so calls to him would be wasted and

ignored. If you know that your Senator or Representative was a member of

the committee on finance, you may also want to let them know how unhappy
you
are that they allowed this amendment to be attached to this bill without

public comment or any hearings.

Second, Since the Senator will not pull the amendment calls to your
legislators aren't going to be very effective. Too many are away from their

desks on vacation and those that are there have attempted to reach Burns
and
change his mind, it didn't help. So our next step is to call the White
House and ask the President to intervene. Notice I said ASK. There is a

reason we need to do it this way and I will explain in a moment. However,

we must call and ask the President to please help us with this problem.

Remind him that the Wild and Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act was enacted
in
1971 to prevent the dwindling numbers of mustangs from becoming extinct.
As
recently as 50 years ago the American Mustang was in danger of extinction

and they still face critically low numbers in the wild. The Congress and

the public wanted the breed to survive since they represented the heritage

and history of this great country. Please be pleasant, direct and VERY
curteous. You may reach a live operator at the White House by calling
202-456-1111 and follow the prompts, when asked if you wish to leave a
comment press 1. Do not ask that he veto the bill, he cannot or our
government would literally have to shut down. This budget covers domestic

programs including Social Security. We are asking that he ask to have the

amendment removed. Please make these calls this week and if possible also

send letters with that info in them to the White House.

Third, do not panic. Many people are working on making sure that this
amendment is never used and the horses are protected until the AHSPA is

enacted. However, this does give us a much better opportunity to reach the

public and get press and attention for the AHSPA. Even if the bill is
signed with that amendment attached, if we follow through and do as we are

asked it greatly increases the chances that the AHSPA will pass and pass

early in the session. This would protect ALL horses and prevent any more

from being slaughtered in such a brutal and horrible manner.

If we get anymore info or instructions from those working on the issue I

will immediately let everyone know. I really hope that everyone will make

it a priority to make the calls. It only takes a few minutes and could save

thousands of horses' lives. Our actions are having an effect and we are

going to see the end of slaughter and soon.

Shelley Sawhook
President- United Equine Foundation
Fund 4 Horses

Send email to President Bush through