RE: [RC] at the end of my rope - KathyZ1

One thing I've noticed about Parelli in particular is that he encourages spending time with your horse in other ways rather than just walking into the pasture, grabbing your horse, tacking up, riding and then coming home and putting him back.
I know that many horses respond very well to that.  They get that they have a 'job' and are happy to do it.
But for me, having a true companion means so much more than that.  I have always taken my mares for long hand walks on the trail.  Long before I ever heard about Parelli, I have always found it a way to 'bond'.  You're at eye level and interacting, and both having a very nice time.  I chat with my girls, let them eat grass, offer a few carrots.  It's good exercise for me and I get plenty of comments.  'Aren't you supposed to be riding that horse?' to 'Why are you always walking your horse?' or 'Is it lame?'
I just enjoy it.  I also go into pasture and play soccer with my horses.  They love it.  It gets them running and tossing their heads and again it's good exercise for all of us.  I do other stuff, too.
Now you may think I'm a nut case, but I do ride too.  >g<
And when I step into my pasture my horses come running......I guess because they never know what's on the schedule for that day.
Who knows, maybe Suzie Kelly does some of these things with her horses, too.
Btw, Parelli's first task in Level 1 is to go into your horse's corral with a seat of some kind (sit on the fence if you don't feel safe in the corral) and just sit there....for about an hour, I think.  Don't touch your horse.  Let him come to you and explore you in his own time.
Some people may consider this a waste of good time but I guarantee your horse will think of you differently and if you don't go for anything else Parelli, I do believe that spending play time with your horse is of benefit to all.   :-)