[RC] Staying warm in cold weather - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sharon Hahn sharon.hahn@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here's a few suggestions from Minnesota:

1.  Wear wool socks.  If liners needed, use coolmax or silk.  Cotton will get
damp if you feet sweat even a little and then
you'll be cold.  Insulated boots such as Mountain Horse or
Steeds riding sneakers will help, too.  Make sure your toes
have lots of room to wiggle.

2. I really like the 3-fingered "riding mittens" that have
a place for thumb, pinkie, and then the rest of your fingers.
I've found fleece to be the warmest.  Make sure your glove cuffs
are long enough so your wrists don't stick out.

3.Make sure you have a windproof shirt (and pants if you
can find not-too-slippery ones.)  You might want to wear
a lightweight pullover under your main jacket.

4.  Keep ears warm with a headband, and your face warm with one of those things
that is just a tube of fleece you pull over
your head (like a scarf without ends).  I even found a combo
scarf tube with a spandex head cover that fits under your
helmet (this is hard to explain - kind of looks like a
Spiderman hat and just the area between your eyebrows and lips stick out -
covers ears and neck).

5.  Fleece breeches (with silk or synthetic long johns in
case of extreme cold) will keep your bottom half warmer than
jeans - a fleece cover on your saddle will also help a lot.

6.  Putting lotion on your face and body before you go out
will help you stay much warmer if you have dry skin.

Happy winter trails - be careful of ice and remember to
blow on the bit before you put the bridle on!

- Sharon Hahn