[RC] How to send support to "Any Service Member"= - Mary Ann Spencer

 How to send support to "Any Service Member"I

 know this is not EXACTLY horse related, although there are a lot of horseless horselovers
overseas, but wanted to share this in case anyone was interested.   Mary Ann

PS AAFES is the military 'walmart' and the only place to buy American
things over there.  I spent 2003 in Iraq.

  How to send support to "Any Service Member"

        DALLAS - With the holidays quickly approaching, many Americans =
are searching for ways to reach out to troops stationed overseas. =
Anticipating a rush of mail from well-wishers, the Department of Defense =
(DoD) announced last week that, "Due to security concerns and =
transportation constraints, DoD no longer accepts items to be mailed to =
'Any Service Member.'"=20

        Fortunately, those wishing to send support to troops overseas =
have another option. The Army & Air Force Exchange Service's (AAFES') =
"Gifts from the Homefront" and "Help Our Troops Call Home" programs =
allow anyone to make a direct contribution towards the morale of =
deployed troops without compromising security or increasing the strain =
on the military mail system.

        DoD reports that some people have tried to avoid this =
prohibition by sending large numbers of packages to an individual =
service member's overseas address, which, according to the DoD, clog the =
mail system and cause unnecessary delays in delivery and military APO =
cannot guarantee delivery by a specific date due to processing =
constraints.

        "Gifts from the Homefront" certificates, which can be purchased =
by any individual, business or civic organization, allow troops to =
purchase items of necessity and convenience at PX and BX facilities =
around the world including 51 Exchanges in Operations Iraqi and Enduring =
Freedom. The gift certificates may also be personalized with a message =
to troops who find themselves so far from home.

        Because the gift certificates can be used for merchandise =
already stocked at contingency locations, "Gifts from the Homefront" are =
a safe alternative to traditional care packages that place unnecessary =
strain on the military mail system and present Force Protection issues. =
Service members can purchase exactly what they need with the =
certificates because they can be applied to a wide range of products. =
Reports from Iraq and Afghanistan indicate that the certificates are =
being used for the latest CDs and DVDs, comfort items such as snacks and =
beverages and phone cards for those all-important calls home.

        AAFES' Commander Maj. Gen. Kathryn Frost says that "Gifts from =
the Homefront" and "Help our Troops Call Home" are excellent ways for ="">all to show they care. "I encourage every American who is concerned =
about the welfare of deployed troops to buy a gift certificate or a =
phone card" said Maj. Gen. Frost. "While these troops are doing =
superhuman tasks in countries half away around the world, we must =
remember that, after all, they too are human and the holidays can be a =
tough time to be away from friends and family. Something as simple as a =
$20 Gift Certificate or $39 phone card can deliver the much-needed =
'connection home' troops crave during the holiday season."=20

        Those wishing to send "Gifts from the Homefront" can log on =
aafes.com or call 1-877-770-4438. "Help Our Troops Call Home" phone =
cards are also available at aafes.com or by calling 800-527-2345. From =
there, the gift certificates and/or phone cards may be sent to an =
individual service member (designated by the purchaser) or distributed =
to "any service member" through the USO, American Red Cross, Air Force =
Aid Society or Fisher House.

        "Gifts from the Homefront" and "Help Our Troops Call Home" phone =
cards can be addressed to "any service member" or individual service =
members.

        The gift certificates can be redeemed at any AAFES facility in =
the world including 51 locations in Operations Iraqi and Enduring =
Freedom, including 29 in Iraq, 10 in Kuwait, 5 in Afghanistan, 1 each in =
Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and 4 in Qatar/UAE/Djibouti.

        The phone cards can be used at any of AAFES' sixty call centers =
throughout Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom. The "Help Our Troops =
Call Home" program offers the best value for troops who enjoy calls home =
from any of AAFES' 46 call centers in Iraq and Afghanistan. =20