[RC] for older horse fans - Tracey Smith

Thanks for posting the older horse stats from Tevis...that is something I have long wondered is how many "older" horses still compete in endurance.

My older mare Kaahli whom my 12 year old stepdaughter rides is 27 and still doing CTR's and she almost always has lower P&R's than my 9 year old mare!!!  Because of her age I no longer ride or compete her as I just feel she should not have to carry my big butt around any more and Ashley is so tiny she barely notices her!  Our weekend rides regularly are 15-20 miles and she really enjoys them...hangs her head and pouts when I load up just the younger mare and leave...breaks my heart every time.

She could probably do an LD ride, but at her age I don't really want to push her so she now just does CTR's on easy terrain and trail rides and she's the perfect "extra" or lesson horse for any beginner riders.  It's been suggested I donate her as a lesson horse so we could get something younger that Ashley could compete...but neither Ashley or I are sure we want to part with her as she's an angel and steals the heart of anyone who comes across her path.

Tracey

Horses are Proof God Loves Us

http://community.webshots.com/user/tsmith609