[RC] red clover hay - smuncy

Marlene,  It is true that red clover in  the growing stage will / can cause what is referred to as "clover slobbers", and is not harmful.( unless horse eats large quanitities, not being used it, like anything else.)  Just looks awful and 'nasty' if they wipe on you. However, never heard of a problem with, when put up as hay; admittedly, I don't produce hay, but have fed hay with large amounts of red clover, and never had problem, as long as horses introduced to gradually, if they are not used to it. I in fact considered it a "bonus", more calories and little more protein, especially, in winter, plus, they loved it. It does have higher protein content, a legume hay, similiar to alfalfa.Main problem is getting it to cure will, without being moldy in middle of bales.,  if not "made right". I would go ahead and use it, but get some regular grass hay, and not overfeed clover, "legume" hay. StephanieM