[RC] Statistics on rides, distances, and AERC membership - Michael Maul

It's a little after 10 PM at the Lone Star Thanksgiving ride and with a laptop - I'm reading all the posts on 100s and other statistics. There's a full moon - the campfire was earlier this evening - and I can hear the horses munching away on hay thru the truck window.

Here's some thoughts I expressed earlier in a VP column in Endurance News. It expresses some feelings that I had while waiting for the 100 mile riders to come in from a cold wimdy night at the February 20 Mule Team ride. I doubt if it offers solutions to the 100 mile problem but might add some insight to what's happening.

http://www.aerc.org/sept2003VP.htm

Some of the statistics are:
"In 1996 there were about 1600 starters in 102 100-mile rides.  By 2002
this was down to 1090 starters in 69 rides.  This is a decrease of about
33% in seven years.  In the same period, overall rider participation in
other AERC distances increased by 26%.

One-hundred mile events are not large to start with – 14 was the average
ride size in 1996 and it’s now a little below 13.  There were a few 100
mile rides with less than 5 entries.  In 1996 there were about 690
different riders doing 100s.  In 2002 there were 645 showing that the
number of riders doing 100s is fairly flat.  In 1996 there were 335
riders who did only one 100 mile ride.  By 2002 – that number was up to
over 400.  This means that only 240 riders did more than one 100 mile
ride in 2002 down from 360 in 1996.  If you look at riders who may be
doing their first 100 – they didn't do a 100 last year but are doing one
this year – it runs about 285 from 1996 to 2002.  Given that the numbers
are staying relatively flat – this implies that there are quite a number
of riders who do a 100 mile ride – then don’t do another.  There are 380
riders who do 100 miles at least two years in a row.,  There are 83
riders who have done a 100 mile ride in each of the past seven ride
seasons.  To compare this to our membership – AERC has almost 6,000
members this year."

In addition - the following is an edited part of my recent post to the BoD list. The statistics are interesting. There were some surprises - to me at least.

Mike Maul

"I've been thinking about statistics and looked into more of them working with Bob Morris.

About 1/3 of our ride season rider/horse entries are LD. It makes a
difference whether those are mostly day riders(non-members) or AERC
members. Looking at the statistics in more detail - about 20% of those
are day members. This means that about 25% of the total rider entries for a year are AERC members and it's a direction that a portion of our membership wants to go.

In the case of endurance - only 4% were day members.

For 2004
Full Member 6033
Vet 220
Subscription 84

Out of 6033 full members - 2258 rode at least one endurance ride. Of those 2258, 922 did at least one LD ride. There were 1192 riders who only did LD.

Only endurance    1336  39% of riders
Only LD           1192  35% of riders
Both LD/endurance  922  27% of riders
Total             3450 of 6033  =  57% of total membership

If we look at groups that only do one type of distance - the LD riders
as only slightly less than the endurance riders.  The
endurance riders have a lot more miles and go to more rides than the LD
ones do though.

The statistic that surprised me the most is that only 57% of our full
membership does at least one ride of any distance in a year.  This means
that 43% of our membership either volunteers only, is too young/old to
ride, or doesn't ride for another reason.

There are 220 members listed as vets and these are already taken out of
the numbers above."