Re: [RC] Going downhill and rear end conformation - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/27/2004 10:54:22 AM Mountain Standard Time, shajarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
where should the stifle be in relation to the sacro-lumbar joint?
Dear Kris,

I've noticed that when a line is drawn from the stifle directly up the sacro-lumbar joint, it forms a very strong/reliable side of the equi-lateral triangle that should exist on a well-conformed horse, regardless of breed.
    That line might vary a degree or two, but (IMO) shouldn't vary more than that.
If a horse's stifle doesn't sit on a straight line drawn from the sacro-lumbar, it doesn't necessarily mean that that horse won't make an endurance horse.
    As with all things "horses", note it and ride strengthening exercises and conditioning programs aimed at shoring up what you might consider a "vunerability" in that horse's conformation.
    Managed correctly, most horse's conformational liabilities can be dealt with.
    I won't name names, but some of the greatest endurance horse's I've ever seen (and who have the records to prove it) had a bit of this or that wrong with a leg, a back, a hoof, a mind.  Don't get me wrong, those same horses were trained/conditioned/ridden by horsemen and horsewomen who knew their horses strengths and weaknesses.
    Train/Condition/Ride your horse with its strengths and weaknesses in mind and you will formulate a program which will provide that particular horse the most benefit.
    There are hard and fast "rules of the trails" in endurance...but having a perfectly conformed horse isn't one of them.
    Good luck.
    ~Frank