[RC] good news - Agilbxr

About six weeks ago, I was afraid I was going to have to sell my horse for
financial reasons.  However, I found a way to keep him by leasing him for the
year.  At the end of the year, I have every intention of getting my nag back.
But, that's not the good news...

Last week the lady that has Alpine emailed me that he has been lame, and she
was suspecting navicular.  Now, he's never given me any cause to think
navicular.. very nice feet, in proportion to his size, never lame from anything
more severe than a stone bruise.  So, I got to thinking.  She has a great grass
pasture, and Alpine hasn't been on grass in five years.  So, we talked and kind
of assumed he had a mild grass founder.  She said he was tender on the front,
kind of hunchy backed, and tip toe-y.  It fit...

I was out there Monday to check on him, and he was sound at the walk and trot
on the ground, so I climbed up to feel what was going on.  It took about three
steps, and I was going, "It's not a front foot problem...it's his right hind".
So we got to looking.  Right before I sent him to her, I had vaccinated him
with his EWT and Rhino-Flu in the right butt cheek.  He now has a knot there
that is rather sore (six weeks later...)  I think he got out with his new herd,
running around with the initial sore butt from vaccination, and pulled a
muscle.

We did some massage and stretching, and he was moving much better.  So, we are
going with light exercise (walking only) and some massage and stretching, and
see where it goes.  She did say it was much worse when he first got there, and
he's been steadily getting better.  (her comment to me was "I couldn't believe
you didn't notice he was lame..."  Of course not, he wasn't off when I had him)

So it is good news.  Minor muscle pull I can deal with.  Navicular or Founder
means he wouldn't be doing endurance again, and I have every intention of doing
endurance again! It was nice to see my horse after six weeks.  He kinda looked
funny cause she body clipped him, but still my horse.

On an interesting side note, her neighbors unregistered, unhalter-broke Arab
stud got into her pasture and beat up her geldings (alpine included...hence the
body clip) and bred her pure Puerto Rican Paso mare.  Needless to say, it
wasn't pretty.  However, I saw the Arab, and other than shaggy and in need of a
farrier, he's nice. Nice back, straight legs, lots of substance. It should be a
nice Paso/Arab cross if the mare took. I'll let you know, I am pretty sure
it'll be for sale cheap to a good home...and the mare is nice too!

Juli and Alpine