Re: [RC] horse blankets - Truman Prevatt

Blankets are extremely useful - especially in warm climates such as mine and Lynne's when it turns wet and cold. They are useful in any climate for a horse that doesn't grow a lot of "fur" in the winter or for a horse that grows too much "fur" to do rides in the winter so needs clipped.

When I was competing the mare I had to clip her in the winter or else she was the woolly mammoth. That meant when the temps dropped below 50 she had on a thin blanket and if the dropped below 40 a heavier blanket. Contrary to popular belief it can get cold in FL - I get in the teens and 20's regularly in December and January.

Now I'm not clipping her I still have one I need to deal with. The Jbird is an Arab bred and born in Florida. His blood was thin from the get-go. He "ain't real fond of cold weather" as Scarlet O'Hare would say. He can do 50, but at about 45 he needs some help. If it gets below 45 and I don't give him the help I hear about it the next morning. He's a very "vocal" horse.

In general it's the wet and cold that is the problem. If it's dry and cold and they are not confined an can move around and they can keep warm. If it's wet and warm they can deal with it just fine. But wet and cold will tax them and some need blankets unless they are the woolly mammoth.

Truman

Lynne Glazer wrote:
My horses live outdoors in 24x48' pens with 12x24 roofs.  I blanket primarily under one condition: wet AND cold.  Not wet and/or cold.  During the transition zone in fall when they don't have enough hair and there's a cold snap along with wind, I'll blanket then too.  I also blanket at rides after discussion with my horse--with a portable pen if its set up full-sized, it's not always necessary, such as in midsummer.  After a winter ride I'll blanket regardless of what they think.

So for wet+cold I use waterproof blankets, one is a Classic Coverups Storm Cruiser, the other a Kensington Roustabout Jr.  The Storm Cruiser has more insulation, the Roustabout Jr goes down lower on the sides.  They're well fit to the angular, more TB build than some of the QH/stock brands of blankets out there.  Most importantly, both my adults like them compared to their other blankets (both won as LD BC awards).  Happily, both my adults are the same size (78) so they're interchangeable.  The Roustabout runs one size big.  I love the Fastex buckles on the S.C, makes blanketing really quick.

Has someone invented a gusseted-front-to-back waterproof blanket for babies, that could be let out in say 6 inch increments?  My weanling has the coat of an Alaskan horse, but it would be nice in wet+cold to give her some relief.  Now I throw Mom in with her, for the big windblock effect.

Lynne
from where it rains sideways under roofs