[RC] [RC] Narcolepsy - oddfarm

From what I understand, horses need at least 4 hours of REM daily. Some might need more, some less.

I have watched my younger horses take 2 or three naps a day in the summer, so deep into sleep that they move like they are running and make little twitching moves. I think that is the Arab head swing. :) I think I have see a little drool every now and then. Now I see my geriatric horses napping a bit more as well. I also know that when they don't sleep so well at night, like on the 4th of July they are tired the next day and they might all take a nap. At least one has to be the sentry, though.  I love being able to watch them 24 hours a day.

I have read of horses having narcolepsy. Probably in The Horse. I would do a search on the web. I'll bet you find a ton of information.

Good luck,
Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm
Happy Thanksgiving! Don't forget to get out and ride. One hour of trotting can burn off as much as 400 calories! That is at least HALF of a serving of a complete turkey dinner. So ride for 2 or more hours each day all weekend and no guilt of excess calories!! Unless you eat the WHOLE pumpkin pie ;)