[RC] Angie M. dittos - Cindy Collins

Angie, as always, made many excellent points.  Our only disagreement is my
true love of XP style mutliday rides.  However, I believe that the classic
100 mile ride (not these things being won in 7-9 hours) is the ultimate
goal and foundation of our sport.  Tevis, ROC, SP, BH, OD, etc. are what
the sport is really about.  Even though my body may not be able to do as
many or as well in these real 100 milers due to age and injury, I don't
lower my standards for what truly represents the sport I love.  I can
definitely see myself riding 25 milers some day because that will be all I
am able to do, but I'll never call it endurance...even though it might be
for me, at that point.  I could not tell you who won the NC 100 or any FEI
rides the last several years, but I could tell you who won Tevis for many
of the last 20 years.  I could tell you who won the ROC every year it was
run.  And, I could come close to telling you who won our old AERC national
championships for most of the years it was recognized.   I could also tell
you the names of most of the horses that carried those riders.   I do
think that the classic 100 mile rides are too much work by too few people
for too little appreciation.  And, God forgive me for saying this, but I
do think our average "newer" riders are not as tough-minded...because they
don't have to be for success in this sport now days.  Don't think I am not
in awe of a horse that can run a 7 hour 100 miler...I am.  It's just not
the same sport, and the UAE money behind it all makes me very nervous.
Many XP ers think the sport is headed for a huge splinter and I think they
may be right.  So many of us now look at endurance riding in totally
different ways.  We don't have common goals, or even language some times.
It will be sad, but maybe it will be for the best.  Better to separate
than to tear each other apart.  Just a few thoughts from an old timer.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Cindy