[RC] Bridles and Barrel Racing - Patti Pankiewicz-Fuchs

OK, I've been using an english hackamore on Sera, she's been (so far) doing great in it. Problem is, the *only* headstall I've been able to come up with that fits it (and her) is my shetland pony's. It's leather and well, I'll spare you the details, but I just don't like it. However, between the petite Arab head and the way the english hack sits I haven't found a bridle (locally) that fits. Wondering if ya'll can point me in the right direction, before I start ordering them on-line and have to send them back when they don't fit.

On another note, I was driving to work this moring (around 7:45) when lo and behold there is someone out trotting their horse on the dirt roads...and man are they trotting, they won't pull over to let me pass so I stay a ways behind them and this horse is doing a good 15-17 mph trot! I started to get my hopes up...could it be another endurance wannabe in the neighborhood?? (You see, as far as I know I am the ONLY person in my whole county interested in endurance..I'm soo lonely) So, a mile or so later she finally pulls up and it turns out to be a girl I have met before...she used to be into dressage (with an Arab) but sold it and is now into barrel racing w/ QHs, which the majority of people in my neighborhood are. Anyways, I ask her what she's training for, (like the saddle and frightening bit aren't a sure indicator :P)and sadly, just for barrel racing. So I start telling her about endurance a bit and if that horse can trot like that for long ("Oh yes, he never stops, doesn't know how to walk...he's crazy!!") you might want to think about trying an LD...(did I mention how desperate I am for a conditioning partner?) Then she says, "Oh that sounds neat, is their money in it?"

*sigh* My head drops, and I am crestfallen. "Uh no." I respond. "Oh, it's just for fun then?" (as if we're comparing endurance to a spoon and egg race at a fun show) Me: "Uh yeah...it's a strenous sport for the horses, and if they put money into it you'd have every a***** out there trying it and not taking care of their horse....well, gotta get going to work bye."

It amazes me sometimes what a small part of the horse community we are, knowing how much this sport has to offer...and then (like this morning) I am reminded of a lot of people's attitudes towards why they do the things they do and I understand why it's just us.

Patti
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=