[RC] re: endurance vs ctr - Sluys Guys

I completely agree with Sylvia. I have been doing NATRC for about 12 years and have done a few endurance rides as well. There are myths concerning both sports. For years I heard about how rude endurance riders were and it took me a long time to try one because of that. When I finally did I found people to be nice and helpful for the most part. I have made some great friends in the endurance community and plan on doing more.
The main complaint I hear about NATRC from the endurance camp is about horsemanship judging, obstacles  and tying to the trailer. I have to say that the horsemanship judging has helped me to pay attention to the details it takes to get a horse through a tough distance ride safely.  I feel that if more beginning endurance riders would try it they would be much more ahead of the game as far as learning how to pace and take care of their horse. The obstacles are meant to simulate situations that you may run into while trail riding (even though some might stretch the imagination). The skills that my horse and I have learned through training for obstacles have gotten me out of many tight situations on the trail. I ride in remote mountainous terrain and have had to back, sidepass and pivot my way out of dangerous situations over the years. Had my horse not been so well trained for obstacles an accident may have occurred. As far as the tying to the trailer I have never seen so many loose horses in camp than at an endurance ride. In the 12 years I have been camping with my horses they have never gotten hurt or loose (except once when clever Blue fiddled with the snap enough to release it, he just came over to the ride briefing to see what we were up to!). Anyway, I'm not saying that one sport is better than the other but that they are really sister sports that have a lot in common with each other. Like Sylvia said, NATRC is a cool sport.  I enjoy aspects of both.
Nancy Sluys

          Sylvia Beverly wrote:
>Under NATRC rules pads are allowed. Easyboots are allowed (and any boot that doesn't cover above the coronet >band). You can't use splint boots or any kind of leg wrap.
>You CAN syringe e-lytes. You can NOT move forward on the trail off your horse (that doesn't mean that you can't get off >and stretch your legs, you just can't mosey down the trail toward "home" unless you're on your horse. You can use ice >to cool your horse's legs (or whatever). You can sponge or throw water bottles on your horse at P&Rs. Hi Ties or high >lining your horse are ok.
>Sometimes its amazing to me the "urban legends" that get going with respect to NATRC....its a COOL sport! It is NOT >a rule crazy sport. It is alot of fun. Do some research and find out what its really about before you make judgments.
>NATRC was there at the very beginning of distance riding (as a sport).....Alot of the people who founded NATRC also >started the Tevis ride. And alot of NATRC riders have been successful at completing the Tevis. So much so that the >Western States BOD allows NATRC Open rides as qualifying rides for Tevis.
>Sylvia

"Happy trails to you, until we meet again!"
             (Roy Rogers & Dale Evans)
                                           _\/
                                        O O

              ,--/