[RC] Re: [RC]?? Sliester hackamore - Marinera

In a message dated 11/21/04 8:35:48 AM, kelfrylane@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

In regard to your Sleister hackamore, I do have one bit of advice.  The metal bar that holds the ends of the shank in place should be replaced with a thin leather strap or some other thing that will break easily. Even a stout string will do.  I learned this the hard way. My horse put her head down to scratch or nibble and put her foot between the metal bar and her chin.  Her foot was trapped and she reared and went over backwards with me. I was on bareback so was able to slip off to the side easily.  We were on a hill and she was rolling down with her foot still caught.  I was incredibly fortunate because the head stall I was using was just one piece, no jaw strap or brow band. I was able to grab it and pull it over her ears and off her head, releasing her foot.  I am riding three horses now in a Sleister hackamore and they all go well in it.  I have had some in the past that I preferred to ride with a bit.  Julie Suhr